Ruling Planet: Mercury, Sun or Pluto
With a beast or being’s body before him, the caster may “Read” a number of details. Most of these details can be “Read” in bodies both living and deceased, and is commonly used on the injured to help to treat their wounds more efficiently. Subjecting a living creature or being to a ”Read Body” dweomer will fall under the same requirements as a work of Sorcery regarding POT and STA.
Having one’s body “Read” in this manner may be resisted normally, if desired. If the initial M-RES fails, every piece of information the caster pushes to “Read” may be resisted further by the subject with a HRT check vs. the (POT) + (HRT att. mod.) of the caster.
Successful HRT checks vs. the “Read” dweomer will block the caster’s attempt to gain the step of information in question, and increase the subject’s percentage chance to resist the next attempt by (HRT ÷ 4) %. If through the series of HRT checks the subject raises his percentage chance to resist to 100% or greater, the caster will have no further chance to “Read” any information from him and the “Read” dweomer will be broken.
Failed HRT checks will allow the caster to glean the piece of information sought and will reduce the subject’s chances of resisting the next attempt by (caster’s HRT ÷ 4) %. If through the series of HRT checks the subject’s chance to resist falls to 0% or lower, the subject will have no further power to rests the caster’s gathering information from him.
Reading the body of one deceased is commonly referred to as “Reading the Corpse’s Tale”.
1) the beast or being’s status as either male or female (or both, or neither, as applicable), if not already known or readily apparent.
2) the beast or being’s status as a cold-blooded or warm-blooded creature, status as fish or fowl, reptile, air-breathing aquatic, land mammal, or the like.
3) the beast or being’s ruling planet and sign, by birth if human, demi-human, or humanoid
4) the caster will be able to determine the state of the beast’s or being’s WND and FTG’s, relative to it’s fully rested state.
5) the caster will be able to determine whether the beast or being is Fertile or barren/sterile.
IF female and fertile, whether she is ripe in season for mating to produce offspring, or near her season – within (caster’s AWA) in days.
6) the general capacities, strengths, and capabilities of the body may be “Read”, granting knowledge of actual physical scores in game terms, if less than the POT of the “Read” dweomer.
7) IF injured, the extent of the beast’s or being’s injuries relative to a whole and healthy state – Light, Serious, Grievous, and/or Mortal, by BP area if more than one area is injured, and whether any bones are broken, whether the wound(s) in question are clean enough for closing, and the presence of infection, as applicable.
In the latter two cases, the caster may use the dweomer as a guide to cleaning out all wounds (with guaranteed success if the number of points of damage of the wounds treated are equal to or less than the POT of the “Read” dweomer) and clean out any infection with equal success provided the POT of the infection is, again, equal to or less than the POT of the “Read” dweomer .
8) IF there is any drug, poison, illness, malady or disease present in the body that is equal to or less than [40 – (SPT + SL)] in POT, a successful (SPT att. mod. + SL) check on D100 vs. [40 – (POT)] will be required to note its presence. IF more than one are at work in the body and all are beneath this threshold, a separate check will be required to identify the presence of each.
IF the caster is unable to identify the presence of these things at work in the body, he will be able to discern the fact that the body systems are out of balance nonetheless, that something is wrong.
IF there is any drug, poison, illness or disease present in the body that is greater than [40 – (SPT + SL)] in POT, no roll will be needed to sense its presence, it will be readily apparent.
9) the region of origin whence the creature or being “Read” came by climate and terrain, accompanied by a general sense of distance and direction, a sense of any bodies of water that lie in between, if the beast occurs elsewhere in the same realm in which the caster is located at the casting of the “Read”, or of foreign origins.
IF “Reading” a poison in the body, the Intent and motivation behind the body’s exposure to the poison – revenge, malicious power play, accident due to carelessness, etc.
10) the nature of the animal in regards to diet (carnivorous, herbivorous, omnivorous), and most favored food, as well as the time of day the species is most active.
11) any unusual or significant details of the beast’s nature, habits, such as mating for life, hunting in packs, unusually high or low number of young, extremely rapid or slow rate of reproduction, and the like.
IF human, demi-human, or humanoid, the caster will be able to discern the subject’s primary skill-set, what he does or did for a living, assuming they are of a nature to have made an impact on the body, i.e. basically physical in nature (GM’s discretion).
12) any unusual or significant details of the beast’s anatomy, such as those features that might pose a danger such as poison fangs or stinger or barbs, especially those that break away on penetration or which can be hurled from the tail, razor sharp tail-crest used as a whip for attack, or the like.
IF human, demi-human, or humanoid, the caster will be able to discern the subject’s secondary skill-set, his secondary trade (as applicable) and any Petty Skills he has or had, again assuming they are of a nature to have made an impact on the body, i.e. basically physical in nature (GM’s discretion).
13) those features of semi– or wholly magickal nature in defenses or weapons, such as spitting venom or acid or acidic venom, fiery or frost breath-weapon, unharmed by common mortal weapons, gaze weapon, and the like.
IF human, demi-human, or humanoid, the caster will be able to read the surname or family name to which the subject was born, and the main subject matter around any education the subject may have had, as well as the general level of his education (in regards to degree if formally educated).
14) the caster may “Read” the fears, failures, regrets, great loves and hates of living humans, demi-humans, or humanoids, any of the high-points of emotion that mark the heart of the subject – especially when there is a mark (inc. birth-), bruise, wound, or actual scar as a reminder to go with it. Each must be “Read” separately, from greatest to least.
IF the caster is reading the body of one deceased, the caster will be able to determine the cause or means of death, if it is not readily apparent, or has been made to appear other than what it was in fact. The length of time the corpse begin examined has been deceased will also be revealed if equal to or less than (DUR as determined by POT).
When a corpse is being “Read”, the body will begin to bleed should the author of its death enter the room during the process.
15) IF the person who has inspired the high emotion described in step 14 or who is the object of the subject’s attention and Intent is also present within the AoE as defined for a “Reveal”, the dweomer will highlight that fact, drawing the bond for the caster to see in shining ghostly balefire.
IF the emotion is returned by the person it is felt for or intent is shared in common, the dweomer will highlight that bond between them, and the fact that it is reciprocal, for the caster to see, as well. The caster will know the difference between the two types of bonds in that the reciprocal bond, an emotion that is felt for someone and returned in kind will be more powerfully linked by twining threads of balefire than one that is felt only by one who does not feel the same in return which will appear as a single strand.
16) the circumstances surrounding the high-points of emotion that mark the heart of the subject may be “Read” – the who, what, when, where, and why of the emotions attached to the marks he bears (as applicable), from greatest to least, the tale of each being “Read” separately, in turn.